Need an idea for a quick and easy weeknight meal? Try these Chicken Tinga tacos! Chicken stewed in a spicy tomato sauce is easy to make and delicious for tacos or tostadas!
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 2 to 3-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 3 cups roughly chopped onion
- 5 plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 or 3 individual chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped (from 7-ounce can)*
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- Flour Tortillas
- Toppings like shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded OR crumbled Mexican cheese, fresh cilantro, avocado slices, jalapenos, etc.
- Pat chicken dry using paper towels. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken to skillet and cook until lightly brown on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to 6-quart slow cooker. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and onions to skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions begin to soften. Add to slow cooker with tomatoes, chipotles, garlic and chicken broth. Mix well.
- Cook for 3 to 4 hours on HIGH or 4 to 6 hours on LOW.
- The Tinga Chicken is ready when the chicken is tender and can be easily pulled apart. Shred chicken pieces using two forks. Serve Tinga with warm tortillas or crisp tostadas and arrange toppings in small bowls. Top as desired.
Recipe Note: You can adjust spiciness by adding more or less of the peppers and the adobo sauce.
Yield: 10 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Slow Cooker Time: 3 to 4 hours on HIGH OR 4 to 6 hours on LOW