Stay on budget while being good to your heart with these healthy tips!
Keeping your family happy and healthy may seem like a tough task. From pricey options at the grocery store to pricey options at the gym, it can look a little daunting to kick-start a healthy routine. However, there are plenty of budget-friendly ways to stick to a healthy routine. Check them out below!
Drink a Little Alcohol
OK, yes this may be an odd one to start with but just stick with us on this. Women can have up to one glass of red wine a day and doing this can help reduce the risk of heart disease! As wine tends to pack in a lot of calories and can get a bit pricy, drink in moderation. If you follow what the doctor orders and a good budget, you’ll be doing yourself a healthy favor for your heart!
Take A Walk
Simple as it sounds, taking a stroll around the neighborhood or a power walk at lunch each day will help you, your heart, and your overall health in a major way. 30 minutes is all you really need and if you want to go a full hour or so, awesome! Moving your legs doesn’t cost a dime, but you may just come across a few lucky pennies.
Make Homemade Herbed Salad Dressing
Ladies, we love our salads but sometimes those dressings are high in sodium, cream and calories. Plus why pay for a dressing that you don’t know half of the ingredients on the label when you can make a much more delicious and healthy one at home? Instead of using a bunch of different oils, use Mazola® Corn Oil! It has a neutral taste, so it brings out the flavors of your foods.
- 1 cup of Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of various herbs such as dried parsley, tarragon, and chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon of minced onion
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
Simply mix all the ingredients together and pour on a bed of spinach or lettuce along with a small salmon fillet! Studies show that fish can help lower heart disease too!
Limit Red Meat
Chicken, fish and veggies are the healthier way to go compared to red meat and tend to be less expensive proteins. Get social with a grilling party and have everyone bring over some items to cook! You can also make your kabobs with Mazola® Corn Oil because it aids in lowering bad cholesterol plus has a high smoke point, making it ideal all-purpose oil for grilling. Try the kabob recipe below for some healthier grilling fun!
- 1 tablespoon of Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 ½ cups of barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons of fresh water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into wedges
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into wedges
- 1 onion, sliced into wedges
1. Combine the Mazola® Corn Oil, barbeque sauce, water and lime juice and mix in a bag. This will be your barbecue mixture!
2. Stick the chicken cubes and vegetable wedges alternately on skewers.
3. Place on grill and brush on the barbecue mixture, turning frequently and adding more sauce.
4. Grill on high heat for 15 minutes, or until chicken is done.
Try some of these frugal and healthy tips today. If you’d like to try some of these recipes, pick up some Mazola® Corn Oil, available at most retailers!
This article is sponsored by Mazola®.