It's chili time! Any time of year can be chili time- Leave it more lukewarm in the warmer months and turn up the heat when things get chilly! If you are concerned about the fat content, you can always substitute ground turkey for ground beef and low-fat cheese and sour cream, if desired. The legumes are healthy for you and so are the tomatoes. Try out this recipe!
We have a great chili recipe for you to try.
Delicious and Easy Chili Recipe
- 2 lbs. ground beef (or ground turkey). Or you can mix half ground beef, half ground turkey
- 1 large onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 small cans stewed tomatoes (or one large can depending on price)
- 2 cans chili-style beans
- 1 can black beans (optional)
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup water (or beer)
- Brown ground beef (or turkey). Add chopped onion to browning pan.
- Empty stewed tomatoes, tomato soup and water into pot.
- Add celery, basil, fennel, chili powder, chili-style beans and browned meat with onion to pot.
- Simmer on low heat for two hours. You can always put the ingredients in a slow cooker and make it in the morning, letting it slow cook until you get home from work. Supper made!
1.) Adding low-fat cheese will add calcium to this protein-rich dish. Sour cream is an additional option but go with non-fat or low-fat to save calories.
2.) This chili tastes even better the next day. If you'd like to forego the cup of water, you can always add a cup of beer.
3.)When adding the stewed tomatoes, don't drain the juice.
Make no mistake, some children can't handle the beans. So start them off slowly by using the chili more like a "dip" for crackers. Over time, they will probably grow to love it.
Don't worry about the calories, the advantage to eating protein-rich foods is they keep you full longer. If you use ground beef, make sure you drain the fat before adding it to the chili.