We celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. today to commemorate the extraordinary life of one of the original humanitarians and fighters for freedom. Although King was last active almost 50 years ago, his words are still relevant and speak to current debates around discrimination and equality in our society. In honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, here are 10 of King's most inspiring quotes.
1. "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
2. "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
3. "If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."
4. "I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
5. "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
6. "We may have come on different ships, but we’re in the same boat now."
7. "Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed."
8. "I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."
9. "We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope."
10. "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend."
Photo Credits: Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images