Valentine’s Day is the one special day of the year when we go out of our way to cook for the ones we love.
If you and your sweetheart are chocolate lovers, I offer the following classic French recipe originally titled “Mousse au Chocolat.” It is chocolate mousse that can be made in a 1-quart soufflé dish or eight individual heart-shaped soufflé dishes.
Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 3 large eggs, separated
- ½ cup sugar (preferably superfine sugar)
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 ½ t. Grand Marnier, Kahlua, rum or brandy
- ¾ t. vanilla
- 1 cup whipping (heavy) cream
- 8 ladyfingers
Optional: Extra whipped cream
- Beat egg yolks in a hand mixer until thick, about 3 minutes. Add 2 t. sugar at a time. Beat in chocolate, liquor and vanilla.
- Chill stand mixer bowl and beater in the freezer and beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Chill stand mixer bowl and beater in the freezer and beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the above, gently alternating the three portions of the mousse.
- Optional: save a small amount of whipping cream to garnish the top of each dish.
- Line 8 individual heart-shaped soufflé dishes or heart-shaped chocolate cups with ladyfingers (or a 1 quart soufflé dish) on the bottom and side. Fill each with the chocolate mousse and put optional whipping cream on the top with chocolate shavings on top of that.
- Cover and chill 2 hours for the individual soufflés and 4 hours for the 1-quart soufflé.
Makes 1 quart or eight individual soufflés
Storage: The Chocolate Mousse can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
For recipes and food tips from Sally, check out Sally's Place.