After the BIG holiday is over, after you have cooked all week or gone to someone's house to enjoy your Thanksgiving meal, there are usually Thanksgiving leftovers. Knowing what to do with those Thanksgiving leftovers can be a problem, and you certainly don't want any of the food to go to waste. You might even consider leftovers in advance and cook more food than what you know you will need.
Here are a few suggestions for Thanksgiving Leftovers
1. Save your Thanksgiving turkey carcass to make turkey vegetable soup.
2. Leftover turkey can be cut into cubes for salads such as a turkey cobb salad or a wild rice and turkey salad, used for pizza topping, quesadillas (with brie), turkey tetrazzini and turkey BLTs.
3. Leftover turkey can be shredded for turkey enchiladas, turkey hash and King Ranch turkey (see recipe below).
4. Leftover mashed potatoes can be used to make shepherd's pie and Indian somosas (with peas and onions) or potato pancakes, turkey egg rolls with leftover turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing fried in egg roll skins and mashed potato croquettes.
5. Leftover pasta sauce can be used to make homemade lasagna with meat or with butternut squash.
6. Leftover egg whites can be used to make meringues (but not on a humid day).
7. Leftover cranberry sauce can be part of a ham and cheese sandwich, streusel bars, peanut butter and cranberry sandwich or cranberry chutney.
King Ranch Turkey Recipe
- 3 cups cooked turkey, diced
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- ¾ cup onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
- ¾ cup sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- Line the bottom and sides of a well-greased 3-quart casserole with 6 tortillas, cut up.
- Combine milk, soups, green pepper, onion and chili powder.
- Place half of the diced turkey and half of the cheese on the tortillas.
- Pour half of the soup mixture over the turkey.
- Make a second tortilla layer.
- Add turkey, cheese, and soup mixture.
- Top with the can of Rotel tomatoes and chilies.
- Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees or until hot and bubbly.
For more recipes, check out Sally Bernstein.