Five ideas for cooking family dinners this week
It’s that time of the week, trying to map out family dinners for the week to come. Or maybe for mom's who can't dedicate time to plan out meals, it is that time of the day when you’re thinking “what am I going to make for dinner tonight?” As part of our ongoing series of "What’s for Dinner," we are providing your with almost a weeks worth of ideas for cooking family dinners. We say almost since a girl’s gotta order in or be taken out at least twice a week!
We know that each family has its share of picky eaters or at least specific ingredients which either work or don’t for them. Instead of giving you one recipe that may or may not work, we are giving you the ideas to inspire your menu for cooking family dinners.
This week, everybody still has Olympic fever, so we believe you can squeeze in really good family time after dinner cheering on U.S.A as they take home more golds. So we like family fun menu ideas when coming up with ideas for cooking family dinner.
Five Family Fun Food Menu Ideas for Dinner This Week
- Make Your Own Pizza: Many supermarkets and gourmet shops sell ready to bake pizza dough—we’ve even seen it in the whole wheat variety. Have the kids help roll out the dough and the top with some of everyone’s favorites. Make one big pie or split the dough up to make individual ones.
- Fondue: Cook at the table with a fondue set or create a make-shift one that you manage at the stove top. It’s fun to dip meats, breads and veggies into the oil and cheese (please use caution and follow manufacturer’s directions or those of any recipe you find). And, of course, there’s always the chocolate variety for dessert—that one is great for dipping fruit too!
- Taco Table: Kids love to build their own meals and this is such an easy one for mom. Grill up some ground meat—you can use red meat or turkey if you prefer—then set out the fixings in separate bowls and let your family build their own creations. We like to “offer” refried beans, lettuce, olives, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, onions, red sauce and green sauce.
- Build Your Own Burger: You provide the patties and the condiments, they pitch in to perfect their creations. Use turkey or sirloin and whatever bun you wish. Give them a selection for instance: mustard, ketchup, mayo, pickles, onions, lettuce, tomato, mushrooms, avocado, even a fried egg on top.
- Buffalo Chicken Bites: Lightly breaded, these bites of chicken can be made from mild to mad hot. Serve them with a side of carrots, celery and bleu cheese dressing and your family will think they are in the best sports bar around. Make them really happy? Add a side of cheese fries.
With all of these, you also can toss a simple salad and add any healthy veggies you like. Other great places to look for family dinner ideas include food or parenting blogs, family recipe cards, or maybe swap ideas with other fellow moms! For more info and advice on parenting, check out poshmom.com